Google
 

Monday, September 24, 2007

Playdough Recipe

If you've used homemade play dough before, then you probably like it better than the store bought kinds. I think that homemade play dough has a better texture and is softer, therefore easier for the kids to press and make things.

Here is a recipe for making your own play dough. When I was teaching the 2/3 year old class, we would multiply my recipe times 4 so that we had enough for at least 8 kids to play at one time. Also, each month we made a new batch of play dough to go along with our color of the month.



  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
  • 1 teaspoon oil
  • 1/4 cup salt
  • food coloring of choice
Mix all the ingredients, adding the food coloring last. Stir over medium heat until play dough has a smooth consistency. Remove play dough from the pan and allow to cool for a few minutes (we always put ours on an empty desk in the room away from the children). Knead until smooth. After it has cooled, place it in a plastic bag or airtight container to keep it soft.

I have made this recipe for my kids at home. The neighbor's girl also liked it so I made her a batch for her birthday. It keeps well in a ziploc bag or airtight plastic container. I made our playdough at least six months and it is still soft. My kids like it because it is easier to use than the store bought kind and it lasts longer. There are many other playdough recipes to try.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great recipe. I'm always looking for fun things to do with the kids.

ThriftyMommy said...

Hope you enjoy it. :)

Anonymous said...

what a great recipe--my kids like this better than the brand name stuff.

ThriftyMommy said...

It is definitely better than the name brand stuff. It is so much easier to mold and roll.