Google
 

Friday, November 9, 2007

Fun-Filled Friday: Thanksgiving Ideas


It's hard to believe, but Thanksgiving is just a few weeks away. I'm sure some of you are already looking for Thanksgiving arts & crafts ideas, so here are some to inspire you and get you started.


Thankful Pumpkins

For each pumpkin, cut out the inside portion of a large paper plate. Paint the remaining rim orange. Cut a white construction paper circle a little bit larger than the open area inside the rim; then glue the paper to the back of the rim. Have each child add a green or brown construction paper stem to their pumpkin. Around the top of the orange part of the pumpkin, use a permanent marker to write, "I am thankful for . . .". Then have the child draw and color something to complete the sentence.

Optional: If you have a classroom of pumpkins, you can mount these to a bulletin board and make a vine to go around the pumpkins. You could also change this design and use orange construction paper instead of painting the paper plates.

Rustic vests

My first year teaching preschool, I actually made these for each of my preschoolers. This is before I had children of my own, but still the project took me so long that I was left frazzled and wondering, "What was I thinking?" LOL The children loved their vests and they wore them to the family Thanksgiving dinner at the school. Anyway, on to the project.

You will need 1/2 yard of burlap for each child's vest. Fold the burlap once for an 18-inch square. Cut a v shape in the fold for the neck opening. Then cut from the bottom of the front panel to the bottom of the v-shaped opening. This will be the front of the vest. Pin the sides at least half way up. Using a plastic yarn needle and yarn, sew the sides as pinned and remove the pins. (I chose to sew the sides of the vest myself. My students were 3&4 years old.) Draw a Native American design onto the vest with permanent markers. (Supervision is needed with permanent markers!)

Optional: Using bright colors of yarn, straight stitch over the lines. Finish the vest with additional stitching as desired. (I skipped this step. It was all I could do get enough of these done for everyone. lol) If you have only one child to make this for, then you could try this step (or if you actually have some help).

This idea is from a very old, but still good Mailbox magazine.


More Thanksgiving ideas via link love:

2 comments:

*Tanyetta* said...

Our local coffee shop has generously set up their back room for our playgroup to make thanksgiving crafts and to enjoy some fall snacks. I can't wait to try out some crafts from your site. You know I'm always loving new ideas :)

Anonymous said...

Great ideas, I run a preschool in NYC, and I'm always on the look out for new projects for the holidays.